Has anyone tried the EcoCharge dual-level EVSE?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

May_K

I’ve been searching for a portable EVSE since my daughter only has 120 volts available in her garage. I have the dual-level EVSE that came with my car installed in my garage, and while I like how it works, it’s a bit of a hassle to take it off the wall and unplug it every time. I came across the EcoCharge level 1/2 EVSE on Amazon for $249, and there’s a coupon for $50 off. Has anyone tried the EcoCharge dual-level EVSE? I’d love to hear any good or bad experiences.

I’ve been searching for a portable EVSE since my daughter only has 120 volts available in her garage. I have the dual-level EVSE that came with my car installed in my garage, and while I like how it works, it’s a bit of a hassle to take it off the wall and unplug it every time. I came across the EcoCharge level 1/2 EVSE on Amazon for $249, and there’s a coupon for $50 off. Has anyone tried the EcoCharge dual-level EVSE? I’d love to hear any good or bad experiences.
The AeroVironment/Webasto TurboCord DUAL could be a great option for you. It’s compact and very flexible, making it easy to use in a garage with only 120 volts. While the EcoCharge level 1/2 EVSE sounds interesting, I’ve found that the TurboCord is lightweight and high-quality. If you can find a lightly used BMW or MINI branded one on eBay, it might be worth considering.

I found an owner on eBay with a new extra GM EVSE cord, the one made for GM by Clipper,Creek. I got it for under $200. The quality of the Clipper Creek unit is very good compared to bargain import units. Three GM Clipper Creek is compatible with 240 volts and is safe because it has interrupter relays on both the black and white wires of the AC line. You can make your own adapter from a dryer pigtail and a high quality 20 amp cord socket, or you can find pre made adapters with an Internet search. The cord is “only” 12 amps at either voltage, but I find that it is fast enough on 240 volts that it has never left me with insufficient charge for my needs.

The AeroVironment/Webasto TurboCord DUAL could be a great option for you. It’s compact and very flexible, making it easy to use in a garage with only 120 volts. While the EcoCharge level 1/2 EVSE sounds interesting, I’ve found that the TurboCord is lightweight and high-quality. If you can find a lightly used BMW or MINI branded one on eBay, it might be worth considering.
Thanks for the recommendation! The AeroVironment/Webasto TurboCord sounds like a good option, especially if it's lightweight and flexible. I’ll definitely check it out along with the EcoCharge. If I find a good deal on a used one, I might just snag it.

I found an owner on eBay with a new extra GM EVSE cord, the one made for GM by Clipper,Creek. I got it for under $200. The quality of the Clipper Creek unit is very good compared to bargain import units. Three GM Clipper Creek is compatible with 240 volts and is safe because it has interrupter relays on both the black and white wires of the AC line. You can make your own adapter from a dryer pigtail and a high quality 20 amp cord socket, or you can find pre made adapters with an Internet search. The cord is “only” 12 amps at either voltage, but I find that it is fast enough on 240 volts that it has never left me with insufficient charge for my needs.
Thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like you got a great deal on the GM EVSE from Clipper Creek. I appreciate the tips about the adapters, too. A solid 12 amps on 240 volts is definitely useful for quick charging. I’ll keep that in mind while I’m looking for my own portable EVSE.

Back