Bolt Stero and iPod compatibility

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickus123

I am not currently an owner of the Bolt, but I am investigating one for when they become available here in TX. My question has to do with the stereo system and its iPod compatibility. Specifically:

1. Is it as simple as plugging into an AUX/USB port to connect an iPod?
2. Once connected (assuming the answer to 1 is 'yes'), how are the controls for navigating between albums and songs?
3. Can you quickly and easily scroll through your list of albums, artists, songs? I have about 4,000 songs on my iPod -- on my Prius the interface to scroll between songs is quite slow.

Any info would be appreciated. The more details the better. ;>

rickus123 said:
I am not currently an owner of the Bolt, but I am investigating one for when they become available here in TX. My question has to do with the stereo system and its iPod compatibility. Specifically:

1. Is it as simple as plugging into an AUX/USB port to connect an iPod?
2. Once connected (assuming the answer to 1 is 'yes'), how are the controls for navigating between albums and songs?
3. Can you quickly and easily scroll through your list of albums, artists, songs? I have about 4,000 songs on my iPod -- on my Prius the interface to scroll between songs is quite slow.

Any info would be appreciated. The more details the better. ;>

1, Yes, I've connected my iPod into the Aux jack of the Bolt w/a iPod "Y" connector that I also use in my BMW.
2. No software integration in the Bolt. You have to use the controls on your iPod.
3. No. See #2.

FWIW, I don't worry about song selection when using my iPod in any car. I just turn it on and let the iPod make random selections. If I don't like a particular song, I just skip forward until I find one that I like better.

If you connect your iPod with a USB cable you get full integration with the Bolt's on screen controls.

I do this and then connect my Android phone over Bluetooth, it works great and switches between the two devices nicely when making or ending a phone call.

klowenst said:
If you connect your iPod with a USB cable you get full integration with the Bolt's on screen controls.

I do this and then connect my Android phone over Bluetooth, it works great and switches between the two devices nicely when making or ending a phone call.

Gotta give this a try.

klowenst said:

That sounds great. Thanks.

Hi rickus123,

It looks like you guys beat me to the punch! I'm glad to see that everyone was were able to get your inquiry addressed.

If you have additional questions regarding the Infotainment operation of the Bolt, please let me know. I'd be happy to provide clarification and more info, if need be.

Warm Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
Hi rickus123,

It looks like you guys beat me to the punch! I'm glad to see that everyone was were able to get your inquiry addressed.

If you have additional questions regarding the Infotainment operation of the Bolt, please let me know. I'd be happy to provide clarification and more info, if need be.

Warm Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Amber,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a follow-up.

In my original question, I mentioned that I currently own a Prius. While it can truthfully be stated that its sound system is fully integrated with iPod functionality, the user experience is less than ideal. I am curious to know how the one in the Bolt compares.

Specifically, my Prius allows me to scroll, one page at a time, through a list of songs, or artists, or albums. This works great if there are only a few dozen albums on the device. But mine has over 400 albums and over 6000 songs. One page at a time to scroll to the middle of the alphabet to get to the desired musician gets tedious. I'm curious to know what the system in the Bolt is like in that respect.

This is admittedly not the most crucial factor in picking a car. But it is definitely one of the things that can become annoying once you own a car. Maybe there is a video or detailed user's manual online that would illuminate this subject.

Thanks again.

--Rick

Amber,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a follow-up.

In my original question, I mentioned that I currently own a Prius. While it can truthfully be stated that its sound system is fully integrated with iPod functionality, the user experience is less than ideal. I am curious to know how the one in the Bolt compares.

Specifically, my Prius allows me to scroll, one page at a time, through a list of songs, or artists, or albums. This works great if there are only a few dozen albums on the device. But mine has over 400 albums and over 6000 songs. One page at a time to scroll to the middle of the alphabet to get to the desired musician gets tedious. I'm curious to know what the system in the Bolt is like in that respect.

This is admittedly not the most crucial factor in picking a car. But it is definitely one of the things that can become annoying once you own a car. Maybe there is a video or detailed user's manual online that would illuminate this subject.

Thanks again.

--Rick[/quote]

Hi rickus123,

It's definitely the little things that help to make great ownership experience, and I'm happy to provide whatever clarification/information I can.

Please feel free to visit the online Owner's Manual for the Bolt at https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2017/Chevrolet/BOLT%20EV/Owner's%20Manual.pdf. The "Infotainment System" section (specifically pages 168-169 under "iPhone/iPod Player" heading) may help give you the insight you need on the music operation.

Unfortunately, we don't have any videos from GM at this time regarding the specific music operation of the Infotainment system. If any come my way, I'll be sure to send it along to you.

Warm Wishes,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

klowenst said:

Just plugged in the iPod w/the USB cord and it worked. Thanks for the tip.

The iPod is listed as a separate source and automatically begins playing when plugged in and the playlists/songs are listed on the screen. Seems to have full functionality on screen but I didn't check out all the options.

When I use my iPod, I just allow it to randomly select songs and just skip ahead if I don't like what I'm listening to at the time. It does that easily through the channel controls on the steering wheel.

ChevyCustomerCare said:
Please feel free to visit the online Owner's Manual for the Bolt at https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2017/Chevrolet/BOLT%20EV/Owner's%20Manual.pdf. The "Infotainment System" section (specifically pages 168-169 under "iPhone/iPod Player" heading) may help give you the insight you need on the music operation.

Thanks Amber.

--rick

Back