Collision Alarm System

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brigg Solomen

Okay, last try. This support group doesn’t appear to be too supportive?
I bought a new Chevy Bolt 2023. The other day I was driving on the expressway and I got an alarm with six to eight red dots. I do not have HUD (Hazzard Upper Display). I was driving in Enhanced Mode so the red dots appeared on the dashboard where my Maximum Mileage is displayed. Is this a Collision Alert Warning. Some response would be nice:mad:

Last edited:
I bought a new Chevy Bolt 2023. The other day I was driving on the expressway and I got an alarm with six to eight red dots. I do not have HUD (Hazzard Upper Display). I was driving in Enhanced Mode so the red dots appeared on the dashboard where my Maximum Mileage is displayed. Is this a Collision Alert Warning. Some response would be nice:mad:

I'm new to Bolts but my EUV flashed a warning on the winshield when I came up on stopped car too fast..Wow..This car is just too AWESOME

Good information. Normally the rule of thumb is that the range is 15% less in winter. I guess this is with minimum heat or maybe only defrost.

Thanks but my Bolt doesn't have the windshield display; so, I'm not sure what a collision alert would look like on my Bolt.

The "windshield display" is actually a row of LEDs in the dashboard that shine onto the windshield.
My 2023 Bolt EUV has it. I don't have any other windshield displays.
The "Forward Collision Alert" system is described on page 215 of my Owner's Manual.

It has worked correctly several times, alerting me to a fast changing situation where I might not have reacted quickly enough, or where I was prepared, but hadn't stepped on the brake yet.

It has triggered falsely a few times on a curve on a residential street with one gentle curve where I hadn't started to turn the wheel yet. It detected a pedestrian standing in the center divide where the road curved, and maybe I had not started turning yet.

I've noticed that it can trigger in construction zones where there is a row of crash barrels in a closed lane, and the lines in the road might not be where the traffic is going.

I have had it apply the brakes twice. Once in a left turn lane where I was truly caught off guard. I was looking a couple of cars ahead, and the car in front of me slammed on the brakes for a dog running across the street from our right. I probably would have stopped in time on my own, but it was close. Another time was in commute traffic where I was alert, but just not reacting quickly enough compared to the setting for the alert system. I have it on the most protective ("Far") setting.

Assistance Systems for Driving, Forward Collision Alert, Automatic Emergency Braking, Intelligent Braking Assist, Forward Pedestrian Braking, are all standard.

The "windshield display" is actually a row of LEDs in the dashboard that shine onto the windshield.
My 2023 Bolt EUV has it. I don't have any other windshield displays.
The "Forward Collision Alert" system is described on page 215 of my Owner's Manual.

It has worked correctly several times, alerting me to a fast changing situation where I might not have reacted quickly enough, or where I was prepared, but hadn't stepped on the brake yet.

It has triggered falsely a few times on a curve on a residential street with one gentle curve where I hadn't started to turn the wheel yet. It detected a pedestrian standing in the center divide where the road curved, and maybe I had not started turning yet.

I've noticed that it can trigger in construction zones where there is a row of crash barrels in a closed lane, and the lines in the road might not be where the traffic is going.

I have had it apply the brakes twice. Once in a left turn lane where I was truly caught off guard. I was looking a couple of cars ahead, and the car in front of me slammed on the brakes for a dog running across the street from our right. I probably would have stopped in time on my own, but it was close. Another time was in commute traffic where I was alert, but just not reacting quickly enough compared to the setting for the alert system. I have it on the most protective ("Far") setting.

Assistance Systems for Driving, Forward Collision Alert, Automatic Emergency Braking, Intelligent Braking Assist, Forward Pedestrian Braking, are all standard.
Okay, I am sorry but no “I don’t have a HUD (Hazard Upper Display), I’ve done quite a bit of research on this. So here is the story:
I was driving on the express way with the dashboard in “Enhanced Mode”, an alarm went off and six red balls appeared on the dashboard (not the windshield) where the Maximum Mileage number is displayed. I don’t know what this warning is: I assume it must be a collision alert. This has happened 3 times to me now. No cars, cats, dogs, pedestrians in sight.

Any thoughts

That didn't happen when I hit that Buck in a fog with my 2017. It must've been an added feature

The alert relies on a camera. If it is foggy and the camera can not see something, you may not get an alert in time. Better to slow down in these conditions.

45 in a 60 with pickup coming up fast distracted me. A 2017 has no camera or radar. The only camera is in the rear. I forgot that my car was running in stealth mode. I get off the road at dusk and wait until dawn because of this.

Back