Charging Chervolet bolt with portable charger on 220v outlet

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

i am planiang to import chervolet bolt in europe is it posible to charge this vehicle with the portable charger with a 220v power outlet

I also work in many "industrial" environments.

Am I able to charge on 208v AC outlets?

Am I able to charge on 277v AC outlets?

I have both 208v and 277v at my workplace, but oddly enough, no 240 volt power outlets.

Thank You.
-John

gpsman said:

I have both 208v and 277v at my workplace, but oddly enough, no 240 volt power outlets.

Thank You.
-John
208V in theory should be no problem.

277V will fry the EVSE and/or the car's internal charger.

devbolt said:

I'd like to hear from someone who works for Chevrolet, and knows what is possible.

The Leaf was designed originally to run on 208 volts, and we believe that that's why the charge time estimates displayed are always pessimistic. Since some - possibly many - public charging stations in the US use 208 volts, GM would have been crazy not to design the onboard charger not to accept that happily.

gpsman said:
devbolt said:

I'd like to hear from someone who works for Chevrolet, and knows what is possible.

Their official policy is going to be that the portable EVSE is designed to be used only with standard household voltage which in the US is 120V.

Then contact Chevrolet Customer Assistance instead of asking a bunch of strangers on the Internet.

You need to get an EVSE that is intended for European use. Power is handled differently there than here.

In the US, the 120 V residential supply has one leg at neutral, which is effectively ground. When you use 240, you use two phases, each of which is separate from neutral. In other words, neither wire is at ground potential.

European power is handled differently. Their "220" has one leg at neutral.

An EVSE needs to handle this properly. Ask the manufacturer of the EVSE you plan to use there whether it's suitable for European power.

gpsman said:

Thank You.
-John

Get an Aerovironment Turbo Cord or another "220" capable portable EVSE. It will work fine at 208, not 277. 240 is found in residential environments, not industrial.

^ I managed to miss that the OP wants to use the OEM charging cable at much higher voltages. I was talking about the car's onboard charger, not the EVSE. Yes, they need a 240-capacble EVSE. Sorry.

hello here in europe we have 220 v with one phase one neutral and one ground

do we still need to by a new evse because that thing is expensive

You should ask your local Bolt dealer for that information.

Then, ask on a LEAF forum in your country - what portable EVSE they recommend, or if they think it is useful/necessary to buy one.

I suggest a LEAF forum only because that is a very successful EV. (many, many vehicles sold)

North American single phase 240 power and European single phase 230 are really no different. Unfortunately power distribution is not uniform across Europe like it is in north America, so specifically plug types etc. and in some cases voltages and frequencies vary across boarders. There will certainly be evse chargers made for European 230/120v power (some countries supply split power), they'll likely even be cheaper then the portable charge cord chevy sells with the bolt.

If the OP question was, can I use the stock 120v portable charge cord on a European 230v circuit? No, not safely anyway. However there are certainly affordable charging products in the market out there that will.

To an earlier poster there's no 2 phase electric power at least not widely used for over 100 years, what a lot of people think is "2 phase" in north American residential is a single phase split. Single phase loads can be connected to 3 phase, any 208v supply is part of a supply that can also provide 120v and 240v.

If you (the general you, not calling anyone out) want to know the difference between single and 3 phase power please look it up, it's actually a good thing to know.

I'm not a chevy employee

IMAdolt said:
North American single phase 240 power and European single phase 230 are really no different.
Doesn't European single phase 230V have one leg grounded? In which case European equipment might be designed with a polarized plug and be designed in a way that depends on that leg being grounded. In North American 240V single phase, neither leg is grounded.

IMAdolt said:
any 208v supply is part of a supply that can also provide 120v and 240v.
A 208Y/120 system can supply 120V (L-N) or 208 V (L-L), but not 240V. At least not without a transformer.

Cheers, Wayne

It depends on weather the 3 phase is wye or delta, if you have 208 I got to assume it's delta, since a wye has symmetrical voltages.

in high leg delta the voltage across 2 lines is 240 L-L, neutral to adjacent is 120 L-N and the high leg to neutral is 208 L-N. But high leg delta is always done.

I don't see how a L-N 240 would be any different then a L-L-N 240, in Europe it's just not typically initially split, now you got to also remember it's not uniformly done across Europe so take that for what it's worth.

but I'm no expert :idea:

IMAdolt said:
It depends on weather the 3 phase is wye or delta, if you have 208 I got to assume it's delta, since a wye has symmetrical voltages.
Good point, I forgot about center tapped 240V delta services.

IMAdolt said:
I don't see how a L-N 240 would be any different then a L-L-N 240,
For example, in a North American 240V device, there could be surge suppression MOVs installed L1-G and L2-G that are designed for the expected 120V to ground. If you fed such a device with 240V where one leg is grounded, you'd fry the MOV on the ungrounded leg.

I have no idea if EVSEs would have such components, or whether a North American EVSE's design might otherwise be dependent on the ungrounded conductors being only 120V to ground.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
IMAdolt said:
Good point, I forgot about center tapped 240V delta services.

IMAdolt said:
I don't see how a L-N 240 would be any different then a L-L-N 240,
For example, in a North American 240V device, there could be surge suppression MOVs installed L1-G and L2-G that are designed for the expected 120V to ground. If you fed such a device with 240V where one leg is grounded, you'd fry the MOV on the ungrounded leg.

I have no idea if EVSEs would have such components, or whether a North American EVSE's design might otherwise be dependent on the ungrounded conductors being only 120V to ground.

Cheers, Wayne

Since the European type is grounded just not split and the north American is not always grounded the perhaps unintentional or not obvious point your making is that a European power supply would almost always have that residential ground instead of possibly have the charging device in north America take care of that missing ground. So an un split 240v supply (L-N-G) would always have that where as in North America it may not even if you're neighbour is taking care of the opposite side of the wave.

240volts at whatever amperage on a single phase power supply is the same on either side of the world no matter how it's grounded, you make a point about perhaps not being able to use a portable charge cord if it's un grounded but that's just as if not more so likely to happen in North America it's also possible to run into the same issue @ 120v but I think we're getting off topic, the original question seems to be if he can use the stock charge cord you get with the car, it's a 120v charge cord and you can't use that in a 240v European plug safely. It costs like an extra 800$ so just don't get that option and buy a cord or device meant for Europe for the same or less money, the car can handle 240v via the right cord/station.

It costs like an extra 800$ so just don't get that option and buy a cord or device meant for Europe for the same or less money, the car can handle 240v via the right cord/station.

The OEM EVSE comes free with the car. That price is for an extra one, IIRC.

LeftieBiker said:
It costs like an extra 800$ so just don't get that option and buy a cord or device meant for Europe for the same or less money, the car can handle 240v via the right cord/station.

The OEM EVSE comes free with the car. That price is for an extra one, IIRC.

Maybe that varies from country to country and maybe even dealer to dealer, on the .ca build page it was an extra $ ticky box. that could have changed, the US version has the CCS as an extra where as the Canadian didn't so who knows what you'd get in europe. If importing to Europe and planning to buy it from GM USA it might be worth while trying to get it from GM Canada, it's cheaper after the exchange rates if that's even possible.

Why not wait for the Opel?

Maybe that varies from country to country and maybe even dealer to dealer, on the .ca build page it was an extra $ ticky box.

I remember that coming up in the other Bolt forum. The answer was that the checkbox was to order an extra one, not to get one with the car.

Back