Anyone notice? --no sunroof

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WetEV said:
marshallinwa said:
I don't think a sunroof makes a lot sense for me in Western Washington. I just see as another source of problems.

More likely to leak than to have actual sunshine coming through it. (Also in Western Washington)

Having owned various cars with sunroofs in western Washington for 24 years now with not one drop of leaking, this is a little extreme.

Sunroofs are the best way to get fresh air into a cabin. Aerodynamics on the top of the car are way smoother than the turbulence that happens on the side of the car where windows are. Plus the noise level from traffic is way less with an open sunroof than an open window.

On top of that, glass sunroofs allow a lot of light into the cabin, making it feel much bigger and more airy, even on cloudy days.

I am a huge sunroof fan and would have ordered the Bolt with one had it been offered. I will not put in an aftermarket unit, however, because the structural support is just not there to properly support it and retain/enhance safety.

I avoid sunroofs whenever possible and certainly don't care that they are not offered.

My thinking...

Cost more
Weigh more
May leak
Reduce headroom
Risk of wind noise
Increase sun heat load
Never want to open them

But provided they are an option, rather than mandatory, sure, why not offer them for those who want.

Had a car with a moonroof once. On days when it was sunny enough to open, it was also warm enough that the extra heat from opening it was annoying. So I rarely used it.

Mercedes designers clearly decided to save weight and improve efficiency. Without offering a sunroof, my car "only" weighs 3924 pounds. If the car weighed two tons, now THAT would have been embarrassing. :)

Patronus said:
WetEV said:
marshallinwa said:
I don't think a sunroof makes a lot sense for me in Western Washington. I just see as another source of problems.

More likely to leak than to have actual sunshine coming through it. (Also in Western Washington)

Having owned various cars with sunroofs in western Washington for 24 years now with not one drop of leaking, this is a little extreme.

Sunroofs are the best way to get fresh air into a cabin. Aerodynamics on the top of the car are way smoother than the turbulence that happens on the side of the car where windows are. Plus the noise level from traffic is way less with an open sunroof than an open window.

On top of that, glass sunroofs allow a lot of light into the cabin, making it feel much bigger and more airy, even on cloudy days.

I am a huge sunroof fan and would have ordered the Bolt with one had it been offered. I will not put in an aftermarket unit, however, because the structural support is just not there to properly support it and retain/enhance safety.

For me personally, still not interested and probably a deal breaker. However, I understand that others like them. Thanks for your point-of-view.

I was a big fan of the sunroof before all cars had A/C. Like my 1970 BMW 1602 had one that got a lot of use. Later, I had a BMW 320i with one that had an ANNOYING LEAK.

However, I can see why an EV probably wouldn't have one. Even though it is much better than opening the window for aero, overall it will probably increase energy use for the reasons already stated. I've noticed EV newbies have concerns that A/C is a big hit on range. I think you'll find it is not a big hit for the following reasons:

• 1. You won't have that money-burning furnace sitting in your lap anymore.
    2. A/C is doesn't use much power for a car cabin sized space.
    3. Battery capacity is much better in the summer than the winter (Although I don't know how much the battery conditioning the Bolt has and the LEAF doesn't changes this).

I noticed, lamented, and saw a nice Camaro SS across the showroom floor ... and it had a sunroof, auto-dimming exterior driver's door mirror, rain sensing wipers, power seats, and just enough gimmicks to make my inner five year old wag, but it probably puts out 10,000 pounds of CO2/year, so ...

It's interesting reading other people's comments. Convertibles aside, I'm currently counting eight cars we've had with electric sunroofs; none have leaked into the interior. All have had drainage provisions down the A pillar.

On the pro side, I like venting it slightly when parking as it keeps the interior cooler when parked in the sun. I also like the overhead sunlight which seems to reduce the contrast between the light through the windows.

I can't think of any recent sunroofs which have reduced headroom, unless you're counting the glass being thicker than the steel with insulation and headliner because a lot of sunroofs retract outside the car, and not inside over the rear seat.

Structurally, ... I'm not buying they are substantially weaker as the strength comes from the frame of the roof, and the roof sheetmetal in some cars is ... not fortuitous. Yes, the bend of sheetmetal gives it some strength, but still.

It may add 50 pounds, depending upon the size.

If you want an EV with a sunroof, it's the Fiat 500e, Kia Soul, BMW i3, or Tesla (and possibly the Benz B-class). As consumers, we've been spoiled with decades of options and comfort and convenience features to personalize your ride, so if it's something you've grown accustomed to, its one more thing you're giving up to go electric.

Back