Advice needed on charging outlet

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BridgeT

Hey everyone! We just picked up our 2023 EUV on Tuesday and are starting to install a 220 outlet. Are you all using the charging cord that came with the car, or did you buy a charging station? Our utility company has a $300 rebate program, so I’m wondering if we should go for that or just stick with the supplied cord. What do you think?

I have a 2017 Bolt which was supplied with an EVSE charging cord made for GM by Clipper Creek. This specific cord can operate on either 120 or 240 Volts. For the first few years that I owned the Bolt I simply plugged into an existing 120 volt wall outlet and in the car set location based charging to allow 12 amps. I also set the maximum charge to 80% to help extend the battery life. I never really had any issues running out of charge because my average driving is about 20 miles per day. If I took a longer weekend trip, it could take a few days to get back to a full 80% charge, but there was nothing to stop me from interrupting charging to do my daily driving. I simply made it a habit to plug in when I got out of the car when parking at home.

A few years ago I had a J-1450 240 volt appliance outlet installed in my garage. I made my own adapter from a dryer pigtail cord and a high quality 20 amp commercial grade cord outlet to fit the plug on the car’s cord. Pre made adapters are also available. At 240 volts, the car always uses 12 amps from the cord and you don’t have to mess with location based charging. Let me add that GM could change suppliers at any time, so you need to do research to be sure the cord supplied with the car works with 240 volts. The charge rate is slightly more than twice what it is at 120 volts.

I am considering getting the GM Ultium Power Up EVSE charger. They have two versions for hardwire and plug in which fits a J-1450 socket. I believe you may be able to convert the plug in version to hardwire. The plug in version supports 32 amps, I believe at 240 volts. The charger is semi smart that it can load share with a second charger on the same circuit. For example, you can set two chargers to max 25 amps each. The split is static and you’ll always get the same split. The chargers don’t talk to each other. Other brands like Tesla are truly smart and dynamically adjust the split so that when one vehicle finishes the other can get the full rate of which the circuit is capable.

If you shop on line for the GM charger, try different zip codes and check dealer prices at different dealers. I found over 100 Dollar difference in price depending on dealer. Even if you choose shipping to your home, you get different prices depending on the dealer you pick as “your dealer” on the GM web site.

Back