2020 Bolt - a wonderful but slightly creaky EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoop

Got my Bolt EV in January 2023 -- I'd had an order in with the dealer since August 2022, but no signs of life. So when they had a used 2020 on the lot with a brand new battery and only 14,000 miles, I pounced. Not wild about the gray color (I'd ordered the blue), but otherwise I love the car and it's a significant upgrade from my 2012 Leaf.

Haven't done much to it besides adding a cargo net in the back, new rubber floor mats, and a wireless Carplay dongle. Also painted the front emblem all black, and removed the back window emblem when I was washing the window and found that it was loose. I'd also been considering more expensive EVs, but now I plan to hold onto the Bolt for a few years, then look at all the new EVs that will be available.

The only issue I've had is squeaking/creaking noises coming from under the car. I have a warranty from the dealership I bought it at, and they have replaced the front axles, but the back still creaks. They don't have a fix for this yet. Anyone else experience creaking noises?

Attachments

• IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Mine is a bit rough going over manholes but not creaking. It's a 2017, 100,000 miles
Got my Bolt EV in January 2023 -- I'd had an order in with the dealer since August 2022, but no signs of life. So when they had a used 2020 on the lot with a brand new battery and only 14,000 miles, I pounced. Not wild about the gray color (I'd ordered the blue), but otherwise I love the car and it's a significant upgrade from my 2012 Leaf.

Haven't done much to it besides adding a cargo net in the back, new rubber floor mats, and a wireless Carplay dongle. Also painted the front emblem all black, and removed the back window emblem when I was washing the window and found that it was loose. I'd also been considering more expensive EVs, but now I plan to hold onto the Bolt for a few years, then look at all the new EVs that will be available.

The only issue I've had is squeaking/creaking noises coming from under the car. I have a warranty from the dealership I bought it at, and they have replaced the front axles, but the back still creaks. They don't have a fix for this yet. Anyone else experience creaking noises?
among my immediate family members, we own 3x 2017 Bolts; one has always been creaky, weird. Did the dealer fix the noise problem ?

Before going through the fairly drastic work (hopefully under warranty) of replacing the rear axle, verify the noise is not coming from the rear hatch locking mechanism. Here is an example:

Back