What are the red lights on the bumper used for?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronL

I've tried a number of different things, and I can't get the red lights on the bumper to go on no matter what I do. The Chevrolet salesperson also didn't know what these are for. There are three different lights on each side of the bumper, and I've determined what will cause the other two lights to go on (turn signals, reverse, vehicle locator if enabled, possibly vehicle exit if enabled, remote unlock/lock, possibly other things), but nothing I've done causes the red lights to turn on. Maybe it is just a reflector?

Those lights only activate when the hatch is open. e.g. If you are parked (and in "P" with car on), your rear lights switch from the hatch to the bumper. It's a cool safety thing, because otherwise the lights on the hatch would be useless.

To test, go to your car and turn it on. Exit car and observe the lights on the hatch. Open hatch, and hatch lights turn off as bumper lights turn on. Close hatch and lights switch back to hatch.

dandrewk said:
Those lights only activate when the hatch is open. e.g. If you are parked (and in "P" with car on), your rear lights switch from the hatch to the bumper. It's a cool safety thing, because otherwise the lights on the hatch would be useless.

To test, go to your car and turn it on. Exit car and observe the lights on the hatch. Open hatch, and hatch lights turn off as bumper lights turn on. Close hatch and lights switch back to hatch.

Seems like the unusual rear light arrangement is due to mounting the rear lights on the hatch. Perhaps someone did not want to have a vertical rear light arrangement like on most other hatchbacks, wagons, SUVs, vans, or pickups?

Back