Turn signals on rear bumper?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several auto manufacturers have moved the turn signals to the rear bumpers. I suspect this is a maintenance revenue generator since this placement makes them more susceptible to damage and in need of replacement. I would not be surprised if the whole bumper must be replaced if a light is broken.

I never understood this. I remember hearing that one of the first Bolt EUVs to hit the road was rear-ended shortly after delivery because the main brake lights are in what looks like tiny reflectors on the bumper and not the main tail lights on the hatch. Dumb design that, of course, the entire auto industry is in the process of copying. Put the lights at eye-level. No reason the Gen 1 Bolt brake lights couldn't independently flash for turn signals.

On the front, though, separating the turn signal from the headlight assembly is a huge advantage. The Bolt's front turn signals are clearly visible even with the headlights on. Contrast this to 2005-2009 era Ford vehicles that tucked the signal in the bottom inside corner of the headlamp assembly. Those are impossible to see if the headlights are on.

Several auto manufacturers have moved the turn signals to the rear bumpers. I suspect this is a maintenance revenue generator since this placement makes them more susceptible to damage and in need of replacement. I would not be surprised if the whole bumper must be replaced if a light is broken.

No conspiracy happening... you have to be able to see the brake lights when the hatch is open. On the Chevy Bolt, for instance, that is simply not possible. So the brake lights are now part of the bumper and are visible when the hatch is open.

No conspiracy happening... you have to be able to see the brake lights when the hatch is open. On the Chevy Bolt, for instance, that is simply not possible. So the brake lights are now part of the bumper and are visible when the hatch is open.

It's a doubly stupid design. There's no good reason why brake lights should be on the hatch. Only the CHMSL should be on the hatch.

When the hatch is open a). the brakes are likely off as the driver is out of the car; and b). the night lights may be on at night but they are invisible from the rear as they are mounted on the open hatch.

Back