?s from an EV Wannabe

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Went to an event at our local dealer, but they couldn't answer the following ?s, which was disappointing. As a sales rep, one of my biggest concerns is range. Are there any forums for sales reps? I've not used this kind of forum before. Thanks also for your patience w/ my novice questions. THANKS!

- When will the national safety test results be available?

- I'm a sales rep who needs to drive most of the day and visit hospitals. Wondering whether I can leave the A/C on during the really hot summer days while I leave the car and go into my stops and how that would affect battery life/mileage. Ideally, I'd like to be able to leave it on for my entire day--8-12 hours, which would include driving and stops.

W/ my ICE today, I jump back into the car and turn on the engine and the A/C full blast to cool the car down as I complete a short report and then drive away to my next stop. If I can't leave the A/C on in the Bolt while I'm away from the car, I'm wondering how my A/C usage in the Bolt would affect mileage if I used it in the same way as my ICE.

- I also have to drive from San Jose to the Central Valley (Fresno, Modesto...) and would like to hear from people who do that kind of driving.

- What's a new set of batteries cost after 100,000 miles?

- My understanding is that I can find fast charge places via OnStar, Chargepoint. Not sure I'd continue w/ the OnStar after the trial. Are fast charge places shown on other sites on the internet besides Chargepoint?

Crash tests from NHTSA and IIHS are on their own schedules.

The Bolt does have remote start which presumably exists so that you can start the AC, heater, or heated seats before getting in the car. Note that, in contrast to an ICE car where heat is free while driving (obviously not while idling to preheat the cabin, if you do that) but AC is expensive, in an electric car, heat is expensive while AC is less expensive and heated seats are least expensive.

There is a phone app called Plugshare that also shows charging locations. You do not have to have a ChargePoint subscription to use its web site to locate charging locations.

Note that most currently available 50-60kW DC fast charge stations are EVgo; the ChargePoint DC fast charge stations are mostly 24kW (i.e. not as fast).

I would suggest you look into a Volt. It would serve as an EV on those days you're around town, but if you have to head off to the Valley, it become a hybrid once the battery runs out.

Start it up and it cools down just like any other car.

Running the AC while you're away from the car would be a total waste and would be a dumb thing to do in any car, EV or ICE. Just blast the AC when you get back in. You'll be cooled down in about 30 seconds and you won't waste a bunch of power or gas keeping the cabin cool when no one is in it. (Leaving the AC on would be the equivalent of leaving an ICE car idling in the parking lot while you're away, rather than simply turning off.)

Do you regularly drive more than a hundred miles per day? Because even blasting the AC I'd think you could easily get 100 to 150 miles without real concern.

For charging stations you can check Plugshare.com. There's also an app version. There are charging stations all along highway 99. People have driven from LA to SF with no problems in the Bolt.

However if range is a serious concern the Volt is a viable alternative. It's actually a pretty awesome car. It's effectively an EV for the first 50 miles or so and then converts to being a hybrid if you need the extra range.

To reiterate what others have said, I think you'll find that you don't need to keep the A/C running. Simply use a smartphone to precool the car 15 minutes before you leave. That should take less than 1kWh, which is equivalent to losing ~4 miles of range.

Nobody knows what a new battery will cost to buy after a few years. Even LG Chem / GM don't know what it will cost to build. I would imagine that the battery should last more like 150k-200k miles.

And again, plugshare.com and the plugshare app are your best bet for finding charging stations. ChargePoint only shows their own. PlugShare is pretty much the most complete database out there.

evwannabe said:
- What's a new set of batteries cost after 100,000 miles?

Why do you want to replace your traction cells after 100,000 mi? Are you thinking of putting improved cells in the existing pack? That could be tough to do, but you might be a very clever person!

BTW it has been shown that cars with 18650 cells and good battery thermal management (Tesla, RAV4EV,...) suffer about 5 - 15% degradation after 100,000 mi if you exercise reasonable care (do not frequently charge to 100% and then leave car in very high temps)

Nagorak said:
Running the AC while you're away from the car would be a total waste and would be a dumb thing to do in any car, EV or ICE.

Actually might be a requirement. If evwannabe had things temperature sensitive (meds for hospitals??) in the car, and will not be stopped for hours, then keeping the AC running might be a realistic choice. The Bolt would probably do this with less wasted energy than an ICE.

Nagorak said:
Running the AC while you're away from the car would be a total waste and would be a dumb thing to do in any car, EV or ICE. Just blast the AC when you get back in.

Disagree. As someone (everyone?) who can attest to entering a car parked in the sun, in the middle of a blazing hot day: Pre conditioning is one of the best features any car can have. It's like entering a slice of heaven when you are expecting hell. Same goes for cold car on a freezing day.

dandrewk said:
Nagorak said:
Running the AC while you're away from the car would be a total waste and would be a dumb thing to do in any car, EV or ICE. Just blast the AC when you get back in.

Disagree. As someone (everyone?) who can attest to entering a car parked in the sun, in the middle of a blazing hot day: Pre conditioning is one of the best features any car can have. It's like entering a slice of heaven when you are expecting hell. Same goes for cold car on a freezing day.
Sure, but there's a big difference between preconditioning the car for 15-20 minutes just before you drive off and leaving the air conditioner running the whole time you're gone, which is what we think the OP was asking about.

boltage said:
Crash tests from NHTSA and IIHS are on their own schedules.

The Bolt does have remote start which presumably exists so that you can start the AC, heater, or heated seats before getting in the car. Note that, in contrast to an ICE car where heat is free while driving (obviously not while idling to preheat the cabin, if you do that) but AC is expensive, in an electric car, heat is expensive while AC is less expensive and heated seats are least expensive.

There is a phone app called Plugshare that also shows charging locations. You do not have to have a ChargePoint subscription to use its web site to locate charging locations.

Note that most currently available 50-60kW DC fast charge stations are EVgo; the ChargePoint DC fast charge stations are mostly 24kW (i.e. not as fast).

But you live and will be driving in the Bay Area, where there are LOTS of 50 kW DCFCs that aren't EVgo. For example, up and down the peninsula and the South Bay, there are about 15 that I can think of off the top of my head - they are (almost) all in PlugShare. There are also a few in the East Bay. BUT - if you are planning on using fast-charge multiple times a week, I would definitely consider getting the more expensive EVgo subscription to multiply your DCFC availability. It's $15/mo subscription, and then (about) 13c/kWh (10cents/min) for DCFC and $1/hr for Level-2 (about 17 cents/kWh). The big advantage is that if one of your 'regular' stations is down, you have more choice for backups (quite a few Whole Foods markets in the South Bay have an EVgo DCFC). And the EVgo usage rate is generally less expensive than the other ones, not counting the monthly subscription.

SparkE said:
they are (almost) all in PlugShare

PlugShare is crowd-sourced. If you know of a charger - especially a QC - please do the community a favor and add it. It's not hard to do, and it helps make PlugShare the best database around.

Thanks!

I know of two DCFCs that are (currently) publically available and free. Well, a better description would be 'company has not yet turned on any restrictions'. Every other DCFC that I have noticed to be in this situation in the past year (employer has not yet turned on restrictions) has been turned into a restricted location within three weeks of it being published on PlugShare. Thus I have been keeping my mouth shut, because as soon as these 'accidently un-restricted' stations become popular and the employees can't use them when they want to, they become 'restricted'. It may be 'selfish' or 'greedy' on my part, but the two are in 'destination areas' for me and in spots that are super convenient when I am in the area and need a range extension, and there aren't any other easily available choices anywhere close. I use them once or maybe twice a month. Since one of the DCFC chargers that 'went restricted' mid-last-year may have been due to me, I'm a little gun-shy about publishing. (And it was the ONLY public 50 kW DCFC within 10 mi of that area. grrrr.) So far both DCFCs are under-used (never occupied when I arrive) and have been available for over 3 months (that I know about). The real reason that I haven't published is that they *probably* aren't really for public use (since they are on private - or at least business office parking lot - property) but there are no signs posted (yet). I'm pretty sure they will disappear if they become general knowledge and the companies decide it's no longer a perk for their employees unless it's restricted. So shoot me.

I *DO* generally add info to PlugShare, including new stations, free or pay. In fact, I added a location with over 60 free L-2 chargers last December (and three other free locations that same month, now that I think about it). At the moment, they are still free, but even if they go pay there are currently OVER 100 publically available L2 plugs in that one spot - a very useful resource.

GetOffYourGas said:
SparkE said:

PlugShare is crowd-sourced. If you know of a charger - especially a QC - please do the community a favor and add it. It's not hard to do, and it helps make PlugShare the best database around.

1) See post above

2) For travellers, there are more convenient ones (closer to freeways, much easier access) within 5 miles that are published

3) the big drawback of PS (compared to, say, ChargePoint's app) is that you can't really tell if a spot is working or not, or occupied or not. (You definitely can with CP's app.) So you drive there with THE HOPE that maybe you might be able to use the charger. Not as useful for a traveler (who are the ones that need DCFCs most). And as I stated (or maybe simply hinted at) those 2 chargers are away from my home and near where I often end a trip - thus useful when I am on the road and have a low charge. (In fact, I restrict my use of them to 'when I need a charge' vs. 'gee it would be nice to add 5 kWh', when I don't use it.) They probably aren't really public - it's just an oversight (until the company realizes it). So it will 'help the community' for 2 or 3 or 4 weeks, and then they will disappear - no longer available for public use, at all, for anybody, ever again.

SparkE said:
Thus I have been keeping my mouth shut, because as soon as these 'accidently un-restricted' stations become popular and the employees can't use them when they want to, they become 'restricted'.
OK, I get where you're coming from, thanks.

SparkE said:
GetOffYourGas said:
SparkE said:

1) See post above

You do realize you posted that after I did, right?

I read your post and will simply say that I understand why you haven't but disagree with your decisions. That said, there is no point in debating opinions so I'll leave it at that.

GetOffYourGas said:
SparkE said:
GetOffYourGas said:

1) See post above

You do realize you posted that after I did, right?

I read your post and will simply say that I understand why you haven't but disagree with your decisions. That said, there is no point in debating opinions so I'll leave it at that.

Concerning "you do realize..." : I guess to make it blindingly obvious, I really should have said "see my post just before this one" - I replied to a different post that I thought was relevant to yours just before replying to yours, so I said "see above post", meaning "the post just above this one".

I see no reason to publish a station 'for everybody' when that DCFC will last just a few weeks, which I am pretty sure is what will happen (the DCFC will become restricted - at least all the others I have seen in this situation became restricted very soon after publication).

Fair enough, I was confused by your wording regarding replying to my comment. Especially because it could be misleading to someone who reads this thread, and may think I edited my comment or something.

I'm pretty sure I understand your argument. I just don't agree it's the best path forward for the community as a whole. But it's your prerogative to list or not list stations on PlugShare.

Back