My grandpa's experience with EVs

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BridgeT

At 72 years old, my grandpa has been driving a Bolt EUV for a month now, and he’s amazed by how much he still has to learn about it. He’s got the basics down, settling into the seat, gripping the wheel, and using a few settings. Now he’s starting to explore the many features and settings available, he told me how in his younger days, he knew everything there was to know about his cars.

What's interesting is that he built his first cars from salvaged parts and took automotive and computer programming classes at the local community college. He even learned about, electronics, and vehicle repair at a vocational school, so my grandpa is quite savvy but he’s knows that many of his fellow seniors might struggle with electric vehicles. He lives in a small senior community, and he’s tried to get his neighbors to switch from expensive cable TV to better streaming services, but they often find it challenging to learn new things without help. Some of them can grasp the basics of a smartphone, maybe an app if someone else sets it up for them. But he doubts they might get it with EVs, he loves his neighbors, and there is a sweet old lady that can’t help but smile when she sees him, I think she has a crush on him! :ROFLMAO:

Is there any senior who drives an EV? I would love to hear your experience.

At 72 years old, my grandpa
He's but a child.
he knew everything there was to know about his cars.
I used to know everything that I needed to know. I gave up when I couldn't see the motor any more when I opened the hood. I've rebuilt and swapped motors. I rebuilt a Mazda rotary.
he knows that many of his fellow seniors might struggle with electric vehicles.
Why would that be? We like our Bolt EUV better than our Mercedes for 1,000 mile trips.
For my wife Autocharge+ was a big help. She doesn't like to charge, but puts up with it.
Plugging in at home is much preferred over stopping at the gas station.
switch from expensive cable TV to better streaming services, but they often find it challenging to learn new things without help.
I'll agree there. All of the different interfaces in the various streaming apps are annoying, and difficult for some to grasp.If streaming is painful, maybe Over The Air is the way to go. I put up an antenna a few months ago and get all of the TV that some people would ever want. Dozens of old TV shows, beautiful picture, better than cable, and it works when the power and cable go out, since I can power the essentials in my house from my EV. (oops, veering into stuff that even young folks don't understand.)

I'm 79 and have a 23 LT1. It's my third Bolt and I have been through all the settings so it is set the way I want it. I love the big display and use the audio, climate, phone, nav, and Android auto. Always charge at home with 110. Haven't been impressed with the public charging options so no long trips, but considering a Tesla adapter. Like the fact I can speak/hear texts and voice activate calls. Love the many options from the steering wheel, the screen, and the actual buttons, but mostly use the screen. I always drive in full regen and rarely use the bake pedal. The paddle regen brake is the best thing ever. I use a usb for music and like the steering wheel control for that. One thing I don't like is that audio is always on and when I mute, it comes on randomly, but I think most new cars are that way. Maybe someone can explain why that is. Looking forward to the next Bolt (2025?) and hope they don't screw it up. I have really liked the improvements that came with the 2023 compared to my 2018 and 2020. Of course, the driver's seat is not as comfortable as I would like, but I love the fact the car is not low and difficult to get in and out of. Our other car is a 2023 Alfa Guilia and I feel like I am sitting on the ground getting in and out. The Bolt is a great all around car for Los Angles County and is great on the freeways with the high torque acceleration. Test drove a Tesla 3 and found it cumbersome.

Back