Finding charging stations along route with the MyChevrolet app?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighGs

On the chevyevlife.com website, there is a video with Josh Tavel, a vehicle chief engineer, called "Where can I charge BOLT EV when I'm not at home?".

In it, he states the following regarding the MyChevrolet app:

"... We're going to go ahead and tell you where those (public) charging stations are, so you can actually go ahead and plan your your trip and where you are going, and it will tell you where different fast chargers or level II chargers are located on your route."
I downloaded the app, but I don't yet have a Bolt VIN to setup a full login. I don't see any mapping or navigation function, and I don't know whether this functionality becomes available when you have a full login, or whether he was discussing an intention that is not yet implemented.

Does anyone have experience with this? I live on the west coast and would like this to be my one and only car. While the Chargepoint app shows charging stations, it doesn't allow you to plot a route.

Thanks!

Yes, this works with the myChevrolet app. From the Vehicle Status screen, tap Find Charging Station, you get a map view or a list view.
You can then get directions via Apple Maps or send turn-by-turn to OnStar. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• ChevyApp3.PNG
    169 KB · Views: 9,625
  • ChevyApp2.PNG
    54.9 KB · Views: 9,625
  • ChevyApp1.PNG
    185.7 KB · Views: 9,625
Very cool. Does this require an OnStar subscription?

Thank you for taking the time to collect and post screen captures.

HighGs said:

Does this require an OnStar subscription? -
Yes, I think so...I've only had my Bolt for a week, and I am not sure how things play out when I don't renew all the trial
connectivity that comes with the new car. My plan is to just keep the free 5 year Basic OnStar service.

I haven't tried it using the MyChevy app to find a charging site but it's redundant.

I think it's simpler to just check the PlugShare or ChargePoint apps on my phone, but I may try using the MyChevy app locator just to see how it compares, since I've never tired using it yet. I've also got NextCharge and Blink but I don't find those apps very useful.

However, I'm not renewing OnStar and may lose the locator feature if it's not included w/the basic OnStar service that stays active during the 1st 5 years of ownership, even if you do not pay to continue and/or upgrade the OnStar service beyond the initial 3 month trial period.

From my experience, it (myChevy app) lists a lot of Nissan dealerships. I am not sure where it aggregates its data from but they don't break down available hardware nor private/non-public chargers.

And I agree with the others, the interface is too kludgey to use while driving. Better off with an app with a smoother interface and better information pools.

HighGs said:

Hello HighGs!

You must be enrolled in at least the OnStar Basic Plan, in order to successfully use the app and all the Navigation services it offers. As stated by sgt1372, our 2015 and newer vehicles (including the 2017 Bolt EV) come standard with five complimentary years of this Basic Plan.

If you have additional questions, let me know! I'd be happy to provide additional details/insight into the OnStar services/capability in the Bolt EV.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back