Does the myChevrolet app have an icon in Apple CARPLAY?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is correct, I can certainly manually close the application.

I was honestly hoping not to have to do that, but it appears that that is one of the options available.

I keep the phone tucked away inside of the armrest pocket, all the way down. Getting to that is not a big deal but I would like to avoid having to open the whole thing up and unlock the phone just to close the application.

With Apple Maps, you won't have to force close in order to stop it from running, unless you have active navigation.

dandrewk said:
With Apple Maps, you won't have to force close in order to stop it from running, unless you have active navigation.

Having maps in the background, without active navigation still draws a lot of power. This is the problem.

No it does not. Google Maps and Waze are apparently vampire apps and will draw power when inactive. I don't think this has ever been an issue with Apple Maps.

I have verified this myself. Apple Maps won't use battery power without an active navigation in progress.

dandrewk said:
I have verified this myself. Apple Maps won't use battery power without an active navigation in progress.
Could you explain to us your verification process for Apple Maps.

MichaelLAX said:
dandrewk said:
flamaest:

This guy has me on "ignore"

Could you please Quote this post so that he will see this request and perhaps respond to it for YOUR benefit, not mine.

MichaelLAX said:
MichaelLAX said:
dandrewk said:
flamaest:

Could you please Quote this post so that he will see this request and perhaps respond to it for YOUR benefit, not mine.

flamaest said:
MichaelLAX said:
MichaelLAX said:
flamaest:

First of all, do a google search for "apple maps draining battery when not in use". Pretty much all you will get are hits that say Google Maps continue to use up battery...

I keep up to date on various Apple websites/forums. If this was an issue, we all would have heard about it. Apple Maps is a core iOS application, so I wouldn't expect it to use much power when not in use.

Finally, do the test yourself. http://www.imore.com/how-see-whats-using-battery-life-your-iphone-or-ipad. Start Apple Maps, then close it (not force close). Check back periodically. I've done, and it doesn't show any battery usage.

This is all great information, but I have actually done the tests on two different iPhones of different releases, and they both operate this way. If Maps is not even initiated as an application I can get 10 days of low-power mode easy. If I turn on maps, and leave the phone alone the battery will be drained in half a day. On both phones.

A lot of what you are saying is related to Google searches and internet this and that. Have you also actually done these tests? Maybe you should.

flamaest said:
This is all great information, but I have actually done the tests on two different iPhones of different releases, and they both operate this way. If Maps is not even initiated as an application I can get 10 days of low-power mode easy. If I turn on maps, and leave the phone alone the battery will be drained in half a day. On both phones.

A lot of what you are saying is related to Google searches and internet this and that. Have you also actually done these tests? Maybe you should.

Did you read the last sentence on my post?

Do an "internet this and that" and see if you can find a single, verifiable experience the same as yours. I'm not discounting it, but perhaps there are other factors that are causing battery drainage.

So are you saying you connected it to your Bolt and initiated a navigation event, cancelled it within carplay, and then left the phone in the car for several days in low-power mode? I don't hear that that's what you said you did. I am being specific, perhaps you can try the same.

{... poster-baiting removed, by request ...}

In conclusion, I think your tests have proven that just having Apple maps on is eating the battery...

So the question is: how can we turn off Apple maps, without you having to take it out of the arm rest each time?

All very good points.

I wish I had an answer.

since I bought the bolt as a weekend car, this battery issue has become more relevant since every time and I get in the car the phone is dead. As I start using the car as a more daily vehicle, when my other car finally Bites the Dust, I think that I will be fine since low-power mode may extended the battery just enough until the next time I start rolling again, and so the phone starts charging again.

The other thing I wish the iPhone could do is stay in low-power mode no matter its status. As it stands, the iPhone will exit from low-power mode when it achieves a full charge. This is another sticking point which I wish had an answer.

Lastly, for users of iPhone 7, the official Apple battery case seems interesting. Does anyone know if this battery case can accept power and also transfer data at the same time? Most iphone battery cases I have seen require a physical switch to be selected to go from charging to datasync.

Anywho, since this isn't really a General Motors issue, I will go ahead and chalk it up to a partial solution to a permanent navigation system in the car. I still think it's better than having a outdated navigation system where the maps get old the second you drive the car off the dealer lot. I guess I will take the good with the bad.

Update:. I just confirmed that the official Apple battery case for the iPhone 6 and 7 both can support data and power at the same time without a special switch. For those users you want to enable a permanent navigation system in their car, having this battery attachment May provide the solution so you don't have to think about the phone anymore.

I had the Mophie battery case for the iPhone 5 and was very happy with it. It passed data as well as power. check out their website.

Seems to me there should be some way to send an "apple event' type of code to the iPhone to quit the Maps app, but I am ignorant in that area.

I've had good luck with the Anker battery case. It has a relatively large battery, passes data through the charge socket, and is only $50 on Amazon (at least for Prime customers). I'm not sure about the LT, but on the Premier Bolt EV you can put the phone in the battery case in the wireless charge slot (just acting as a phone holder...) and then use a $5 6-inch cable from Belkin to hook it up. Very tidy and convenient although if you are keeping the phone constantly in the car I guess you might want to hide it in the center console so thieves won't be tempted to break a window and steal it.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Anker-Extended-Capacity-Certified/dp/B00QG4YYWY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487864926&sr=8-2&keywords=Anker+iPhone+battery+case

MichaelLAX said:
I had the Mophie battery case for the iPhone 5 and was very happy with it. It passed data as well as power. check out their website.

Seems to me there should be some way to send an "apple event' type of code to the iPhone to quit the Maps app, but I am ignorant in that area.

Oh, this sounds quite promising since I also have an iPhone 5. Do you know the model number of this case? I seem to be having trouble finding this one. Thanks again.

Back