Any pictures with less garish display mode?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterCT

I know it's a matter of taste, but what is it with EV designers feeling obligated to create these horrific electronic instrument displays? The Bolt is just as stupid as some of the others I've seen. Does it have a mode where it just frigging looks like an elegantly restrained classic speedometer and gas (range) gauge, or is elegant design somehow forbidden in the world of EVs?

It seems to be design rule. If you make an EV, you have to give it a really ugly display cluttered with crap completely unrelated to actually driving. I can't speak for Tesla, because I've never seen a Tesla display. But man some of the EV displays I've seen are so stupid - I mean, decorative little leaves and other irrelevant decoration. Apparently, the software engineers creating these things have never heard of "human factors" design principles. Or they're on a Jetsons kick, and there are no adults around to tell them "that's really stupid".

Any owners have a picture of a Bolt instrument panel in a more "restrained" display mode? Can't experiment myself, because there are no Bolts in CT for a few more months.

Also, I'd welcome any feedback from owners about how the display is wearing on them. Like it? Hate it? Just got used to it?

I thought the transition from an analogue display to the digital speed readout on my Prius C would be harder than it actually turned out to be. It's really a non-issue for me.

I completely agree. Not only does the Bolt and my Spark EV show lots of animated irrelevant stuff, the Bolt blasts you on the eyeballs with that idiotic white headlight of a speedometer. The whole design of the drivers display is badly done.
The fashionistas apparently won out over the ergonomics guys at Chevy.

Check out #2 of these videos for a demonstration of the three display modes:

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5708

You might prefer the "classic" mode as it's the least cluttered, but honestly I don't have any problem with the amount of info presented in the "enhanced" mode. It all seems appropriate and clearly displayed.

Incidentally the displays automatically switch to night mode (reversed color scheme) when the headlights are on. The brightness can be adjusted manually at night, but not in daylight mode.

EldRick said:
I completely agree. Not only does the Bolt and my Spark EV show lots of animated irrelevant stuff, the Bolt blasts you on the eyeballs with that idiotic white headlight of a speedometer. The whole design of the drivers display is badly done.
The fashionistas apparently won out over the ergonomics guys at Chevy.

Really the only "animated stuff" on the Bolt display is the energy flow diagram on the center console display. If you don't like that stuff then don't press that button. I never do. The other that could arguably called an animation is the small circle that rotates when regeneration is active. If that really bothers you I think it is not present in all of the display modes. I will check.

I'm really fussy about this kind of thing and I am also coming from a completely analog driving experience, and the Bolt displays are not a problem for me.

roundpeg said:
Incidentally the displays automatically switch to night mode (reversed color scheme) when the headlights are on. The brightness can be adjusted manually at night, but not in daylight mode.
And didn't someone point out that you can change the display to the "night theme" even during the day if you don't like all that white?

You can configure it to use the night mode screen all the time, which uses white text on a black background. It's much better. Also nothing is animated.

CGameProgrammer said:
You can configure it to use the night mode screen all the time, which uses white text on a black background. It's much better. Also nothing is animated.

I have searched and not found this setting anywhere.

SeanNelson said:
And didn't someone point out that you can change the display to the "night theme" even during the day if you don't like all that white?

So I have heard but I don't see any setting for this anywhere.

roundpeg said:
SeanNelson said:

The setting is easy to find under.... settings.

There is even another thread here on this exact same subject: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5616

roundpeg said:
SeanNelson said:

On the center touch screen, touch the icon with the dots. Then touch Settings. Then scroll down to the Display Settings. You can change the gauge theme to the black one.

Really the only "animated stuff" on the Bolt display is the energy flow diagram on the center console display.
And the regen thingie to the right of the empty speedometer constantly changing as you drive.

So I have to agree that I think it's a bit intense and could use an option that's a bit more minimalist - as an option to the other three or whatever. What I'd actually like to see is the speed readout on the lower half of the readout. I'm one of those guys who likes to tilt the steering wheel almost in to my lap, and at that point, the wheel covers the digits. At least with the over-the-air capability, they can roll out goodies without having to go back to the dealership.

I finally found it, thanks. I'd been looking in the settings on the instrument cluster, where it seemed logical to find it. I wonder why Chevy has opted to leave so many features undocumented in the owners manual. It's like an Easter egg hunt.

Back