12 Volt Battery Drain

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

If any one is interested, I left my Bolt unused in my garage for 51 days. It was not plugged in, however, I had connected up a battery minder trickle charger though a WattsUp Watt Meter/Power Analyser. It recordered that the charger had supplied about 12 amp hours to the 12 Volt Battery over the 51 Days, That works out at about 3.3 Watts or 0.24 amp hrs per day, Not sure exactly what the amp hr capacity of the battery is, I assuming about 40 Amp Hrs. Based on that the 12 Volt Battery would take nearly 6 Months to fully drain from full charge. Note the Hood was open the whole time other than that everything was switched off.

David B

That is good data. Although you added a trickle charger we should note that the Bolt is programed to monitor the 12V battery and occasionally do the same thing using available power from the HV battery. So it should not be necessary.

Another note, is that you can put the vehicle into "transport mode" which further reduces the loads on the system while the Bolt is in storage.

Back