Fast Charging Frustrations with My Bolt EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grobyc_1125

I got my 2022 Bolt EV 2LT in September and have loved driving it for the 9,000 miles I've put on it. I usually charge at home using the 240V outlet Qmerit installed. That system works great. I decided to try DC Fast Charging for the first time. honestly, it was a frustrating experience. In about 45 minutes, I only gained 60 miles of range. The session was capped at 60 minutes, and it stopped at 80% battery capacity, which means I’d need multiple sessions on a long trip. Charging cost me $8.70, but when I compared it to gas prices (around $2.75/gallon here), it ended up being more expensive than driving my Cadillac, which gets 22 MPG!

I still love my Bolt and will continue charging at home, but I can’t see myself relying on fast chargers for road trips after this.

So, yes, the charging speed is influenced by many factors, such as the specific charger's power. battery state, and temperature. Have you tried doing it in warmer conditions maybe? Just start with a lower battery state and on a warmer day.
Also, next time use the PlugShare app to see reviews about specific charging stations. Some have issues. In the end, not all the DCFC stations are bad. Don't let one experience create an ultimate view over them. And of course, charging at home is the best.

I got my 2022 Bolt EV 2LT in September and have loved driving it for the 9,000 miles I've put on it. I usually charge at home using the 240V outlet Qmerit installed. That system works great. I decided to try DC Fast Charging for the first time. honestly, it was a frustrating experience. In about 45 minutes, I only gained 60 miles of range. The session was capped at 60 minutes, and it stopped at 80% battery capacity, which means I’d need multiple sessions on a long trip. Charging cost me $8.70, but when I compared it to gas prices (around $2.75/gallon here), it ended up being more expensive than driving my Cadillac, which gets 22 MPG!

I still love my Bolt and will continue charging at home, but I can’t see myself relying on fast chargers for road trips after this.
What I have found on Interstate charging is that the first hour charges much faster than the second hour so, you're not missing much, if you only charge to 80%. (192 miles). Most Interstate routes have level 3 locations set up 150 miles apart.
You'll be driving for 2 hrs and dining for 1 hr until dusk where you plug into a J1772 where the battery will be 100% when you're ready to ride again. That's the goal I set

Back