BOLT USB power available when parked/off?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamaest

Does anyone know if USB ports supply power from the 12-volt battery when the car is off.

I am hoping it does not so if I leave my phone plugged in it will not draw power when parked.

Also, does anyone know if Apple Carplay works from an Iphone when the phone is set to it's lowest power-savings mode?

Thanks all.

I did the math once; the car can charge your phone about 5,000 times. Vampire drain from charging a phone is inconsequential. (If it is even powered when the car is off.)

Maybe. If it's charging off of the 12v battery, then that's only 30-40Ah, compared to an iphones 3Ah.

Schnort said:
Maybe. If it's charging off of the 12v battery, then that's only 30-40Ah, compared to an iphones 3Ah.
An iPhone's battery is ~2800 mAh at ~3.8 volts. Or ~10.6 Wh. Whereas the 12V battery is 360 to 480 Wh.

In any case, the USB ports are powered off when the car is off.

That's correct it shuts down when the car is off. I usually keep the car on while charging to keep everything active and my phone charging, stereo on etc.

It does stay on until you open the door but since I have to keep jumping out to restart the charging session (thanks EVgo) I find it easier to just leave the car on.

Back