2023 Chevy bolt charging question

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnorton13

Hello, I’m hoping I can get a little help with my Chevy bolt and the charging. While I’m at home and on the 110 V obviously it’s much slower and I get that. But today I took it to a charging station that I typically go to on a very regular basis. I ended up trying five different stations to know avail. I would plug-in get the app started with paying hit the start button and within five seconds it flashing me the return the cable light called customer service two times to see if they could do a remote start and unfortunately that didn’t work.
Also, while charging at home, it does say that it is charging and it does give me the specific date and time of when it’ll be fully charged. It does not display the “unable to charge “message it’s been very hot this past week here where I live in California, but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.
Has anybody experience this issue at a charging station? I’ve gone to so many in this day that it leads me to believe that it’s the vehicle not the charging stations. Thank you for any input.

Hello, I’m hoping I can get a little help with my Chevy bolt and the charging. While I’m at home and on the 110 V obviously it’s much slower and I get that. But today I took it to a charging station that I typically go to on a very regular basis. I ended up trying five different stations to know avail. I would plug-in get the app started with paying hit the start button and within five seconds it flashing me the return the cable light called customer service two times to see if they could do a remote start and unfortunately that didn’t work.
Also, while charging at home, it does say that it is charging and it does give me the specific date and time of when it’ll be fully charged. It does not display the “unable to charge “message it’s been very hot this past week here where I live in California, but I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.
Has anybody experience this issue at a charging station? I’ve gone to so many in this day that it leads me to believe that it’s the vehicle not the charging stations. Thank you for any input.

I haven't had that experience, but I do know that sometimes if you suspect a software issue, you can cycle your Bolt on and off for like 10 times and that might magically fix everything. It worked for me when I was unable to get it started because "conditions weren't optimal" or whatever it actually said.

(Also, we elected to install a 240V outlet on the exterior of our house - we can charge basically as fast as a level 2 charging station for about $1000 less. We were lucky to have the money for that, and an electric control panel that could handle it; it was definitely worth it. My sister-in-law did the same thing. Just an idea.)

I haven't had that experience, but I do know that sometimes if you suspect a software issue, you can cycle your Bolt on and off for like 10 times and that might magically fix everything. It worked for me when I was unable to get it started because "conditions weren't optimal" or whatever it actually said.

(Also, we elected to install a 240V outlet on the exterior of our house - we can charge basically as fast as a level 2 charging station for about $1000 less. We were lucky to have the money for that, and an electric control panel that could handle it; it was definitely worth it. My sister-in-law did the same thing. Just an idea.)

At home are you using the My Chevrolet smart phone app?it would tell you the number of hours left to fully charged
In your car's "Energy" window page check the "settings" hilltop reserve button. That causes the charging to stop at 80%.
Rule uf thumb - 8 Amp circuit will give you 4 miles every hour you're plugged in. It is perfect setting for overnight recharging or a fully charged in 48 hours.
The charging site problem is something I've been fighting with for years.
If you don't have the Plugshare ap in your cell phone download it from Google play.
Check plugshare for charging stations near you and check to see if anyone has used it recently and how well it worked for them. When you find one, go there and try charging. If you cannot charge, it might be a problem with your Bolt. It should still be under warrantee

Is the green light slow flashing, solid, or fast flashing (then count the number of flash in the fast portion)? If a charging schedule has been set then it doesn't charge during the 'don't charge' time. For those of us that have a time of use power plan this is used so that it won't charge during peak power usage times. Currently the peak usage is 4-9PM for SCE. If you purchased the car used then the previous owner may have set the charging schedule.

Back