2020 Chevy Bolt range estimator at 291?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee1051

I fell asleep and left my 2020 bolt plugged in all night with a level 2 charger. The Range Estimator now says 291 miles at 100% which should not be possible since maximum range is 238. Any ideas? I did start the car and turn it off again, but it did not change. I then went for a 8 mile drive and turned the AC on high, which dropped it to 242 miles briefly, but then when I turned the AC off it is at 274 miles, which should still not be possible.

The stated range by the manufacturer of any EV is an estimated number that can change with conditions. I have found with my 2019 Bolt that the most common factor to change my starting range in the morning is temperature. I live in the Philadelphia area and in summer the range can be in the 300plus mile range. In winter however it can be hard to reach the 238. I have 59958 mi on my Bolt and range is a factor that takes some getting used to. Considerably more with around town driving due to regenerative breaking. Considerably less on highway where you use little regenerative breaking. Of course there are other factors such as terrain and use of accessories to name a few. Not really that much different from the variation in gas mileage of an ICE vehicle. If you have had your Bolt for any period of time you must have noticed the variations in actual as opposed to estimated range.The Bolt is set to charge to 80% capacity as are most Ev's. You are not overcharging or harming the battery in any way when you have a higher estimate. So enjoy the benefit of warmth because when it gets cold you won't have as much range.

Thank you for the reply. It is running fine, so I think you are correct and the battery is fine. My worry is that I did not have any significant variance in range (10-20 miles more or less) when I recharged it previously in similar temperatures (like the week before), until I left it plugged in too long and then it suddenly gave me an extra 80 miles of range. My worry is that the range estimator is now off and it will suddenly run out of juice when it says I have 80 miles left.

Back