Squeaking noise from steering wheel

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal1997

I took delivery of my 2017 Bolt EV on 12/29/2016. It's recently developed a VERY annoying problem.

After driving the car for a while, the steering wheel starts making a squeaking noise when it is rocked back and forth (e.g. slightly left of center to slightly right of center and vice-versa). There's no noise if I turn the wheel more than 1/8 of a turn. There does not appear to be any effect on the steering of the vehicle, so for now it's not a safety concern.

The noise starts after driving the vehicle for more than 15-20 minutes and remains for the duration of the trip. After parking the vehicle for a while, the next trip will start with no noise but it eventually comes back.

Of course, I'm not normally rocking my steering wheel left and right while driving. When the car goes over a bump or a dip in the road, the steering wheel does move a bit and that causes the squeaking noise. That is very annoying in a car that is otherwise super quiet.

Here's a YouTube video that I posted of the noise:
https://youtu.be/0g-iCwhmBJE

I'm taking the vehicle into the dealer on Friday. Hopefully they'll be able to diagnose the problem and fix it quickly. My guess is that some component in the steering wheel is rubbing against something or the clock spring for the airbag and steering wheel electronics is bad.

cal1997 said:
I took delivery of my 2017 Bolt EV on 12/29/2016. It's recently developed a VERY annoying problem.

After driving the car for a while, the steering wheel starts making a squeaking noise when it is rocked back and forth (e.g. slightly left of center to slightly right of center and vice-versa). There's no noise if I turn the wheel more than 1/8 of a turn. There does not appear to be any effect on the steering of the vehicle, so for now it's not a safety concern.

The noise starts after driving the vehicle for more than 15-20 minutes and remains for the duration of the trip. After parking the vehicle for a while, the next trip will start with no noise but it eventually comes back.

Of course, I'm not normally rocking my steering wheel left and right while driving. When the car goes over a bump or a dip in the road, the steering wheel does move a bit and that causes the squeaking noise. That is very annoying in a car that is otherwise super quiet.

I'm taking the vehicle into the dealer on Friday. Hopefully they'll be able to diagnose the problem and fix it quickly. My guess is that some component in the steering wheel is rubbing against something or the clock spring for the airbag and steering wheel electronics is bad.

Hi cal1997,

I can completely understand how frustrating this may be. When you have a moment, could you shoot me a private message with your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and the name of your servicing dealership? I want to follow up with their team on Friday, during your appointment, to ensure diagnosis runs smoothly and assist further if necessary.

I hope to hear from you soon! To review GM's privacy policy regarding customer information, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

ChevyCustomerCare said:
cal1997 said:

Hi cal1997,

I can completely understand how frustrating this may be. When you have a moment, could you shoot me a private message with your VIN, contact information, vehicle mileage and the name of your servicing dealership? I want to follow up with their team on Friday, during your appointment, to ensure diagnosis runs smoothly and assist further if necessary.

I hope to hear from you soon! To review GM's privacy policy regarding customer information, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi Amber,

I sent you a PM. Not sure it was sent though; message still sitting in my Outbox.

Let me know if you haven't received it.

Thanks!

- Michael

cal1997 said:
Hi Amber,

I sent you a PM. Not sure it was sent though; message still sitting in my Outbox.

Let me know if you haven't received it.

Thanks!

- Michael

Hi Michael,

Just wanted to touch base with you hear to let you know that I responded to your most recent private message. Please feel free to reply to that at your convenience. Lauren and I can proceed accordingly from that point.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Back